Why whiten teeth?
While everyone dreams of a Hollywood smile, very few people have naturally bright, white teeth. Your teeth change colour as you get older, and other factors like what you eat and drink can affect their colour. Coffee, red wine, curry, balsamic vinegar and dark berries are all teeth staining culprits. You may have an important event coming up, such as a wedding or holiday, that you want to look your best for. It may be that your teeth have gradually become discoloured due to certain prescribed medications or antibiotics. A build up of calculus (tartar) can also lead to yellow-looking teeth, as can habits like smoking.
Professional teeth whitening treatments
Teeth whitening is a treatment that requires multiple applications. But, with the ease of having the tools at home, as well as the expert advice from your Nottingham Dentist, means that it is much easier to fit in and around your life.
To ensure you keep your bright smile for as long as possible, stay away from stain-culprits and keep up a good oral health routine and the effects of your whitening treatment should last up to three years.
You can keep your smile looking fresh and bright by incorporating these five simple steps into your oral care routine:
- Avoid, or keep to a minimum, foods like curry and berries, and beverages such as coffee and red wine that are known to stain teeth
- Have a glass of water or rinse your mouth out within thirty minutes of eating
- Plaque attracts stains, so keep brushing and flossing regularly to remove any build up
- Use a tooth whitening toothpaste or mouthwash
- Visit your Peveril Road Dental & Implant Clinic hygienist for a scale and polish at least once or twice a year